Physiotherapy for Spinal Cord
Apart from Orthopedics, physiotherapy treatment is also aimed at addressing injured or traumatic spine. The patient with spinal cord injury might experience muscle weakness or paralysis, reduced ability to breathe, loss of balance, functional mobility and movement as well as poor posture and pain. Depending on which level the damage to the spinal cord injury has reached, the treatment has initiated.
The physiotherapy treatment given to the injured spine involves exercising and stimulating the nerves and the muscles. That helps to bring back spine to the healthy condition and restore the normal functioning of it. Though, this is a gradual process. However, our team has been successfully able to regain mobility in a very short span of time. In India, Dr. Dharam Pandey clinic has been the top most in providing specialized physiotherapy treatment for injured spine. There are many restorative therapies as well offered at the center, which are aimed at alleviating pain and aches.
- Spinal cord injury is identified as low incidence high cost disability, requiring tremendous changes in once lifestyle.
- Spinal cord injury can be caused by direct trauma to spinal cord such as road traffic accidents, high impact contact game, and falls. Damage to spinal cord is also caused by various disease processes like tumor of spinal cord or around spinal cord.
- Impairment and disability caused by spinal cord damage depends upon the level of injury and area of spinal cord involved.
- Spinal cord is complex structure of central nervous system which connects brain to various part of body through its neuronal network.
Functionally spinal cord injury is classified under two wide categories:
Quadriplegia: It refers to the paralysis of all four limbs including respiratory muscle. This type of SCI results from injury of cervical spinal cord, it may be a complete or incomplete paralysis.
Paraplegia: It refers to a complete of incomplete paralysis of all or part of trunk and both lower limbs. This type of SCI results from thoracic or lumbar spinal cord damage.
Probable Impairments after Spinal Cord Injury:
- Partial or complete paralysis depending on area and level of damage.
- Bladder and bowel problems.
- Pressure sores
- Poor bone strength
- Various other complications secondary to limited/lack of mobility and impairments.
Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation:
SCI rehabilitation is complex process that requires skillful evaluation and setting up realistic goal and implementation of well-tailored rehabilitation plan efficiently. A dedicated spinal cord injury rehabilitation program offers:
- Patients and family education about day to day ADL management and prevention of complication.
- Bladder and bowel management.
- Wheel chair prescriptions and training.
- Complication preventive therapy.
- Splints and assistive devices.
- Realistic mobility training.
Our spinal cord injury program offers goal directed therapy, we involves the family members in entire process of rehabilitation. We have dedicated team of professionals with international qualifications and experience to treat and rehabilitate spinal injuries. Centre has state of the art infrastructure to treat and train all type of spinal injuries.